Monday, November 14, 2011

From a meat eater to a wanna be vegan

* I am by no means bashing anyone who eats meat or anything like that! this is my personal journey and story!


I grew up eating meat, in fact LOTS of meat.
When I look back there was lots of food issues as a child. I was rewarded with food, stuff of that nature.
I think now that my family ate a lot of red meat. We never ate pork or any sort of sea food, but chicken and beef were our main staple.
I think as a culture if there wasn't a piece of meat with the meal then there was no meal.
I then got sick at 12 from gastroenteritis from what I assume was a burger from McDonalds.
I had lots of tummy aches as a child.
Anyways. Then my mom got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes . She cut out ALL meat at that point.
Then we slowly introduced chicken again, but would not eat red meat at home.
If we went to BBQ's or other peoples home then we would consume red meat. I mean BBQ flank steak is or was to me so good!
As a religion in whole we preach a vegetarian life style. We don't say its a MUST but its a very strong point in our religion.
Then I was 16 and went to boarding school, where all the food was vegetarian. So I was there for 2 years! almost all year round sans meat, which was fine! I actually preferred a meat substitute instead of meat. During those years I would NOT eat real hot dogs just the "fake" ones, and still at home only chicken or fish was being made, and I would go home once a month!.

After boarding school I went to college where they also only served a vegetarian menu. It was an easy transition from high school to college. I would still eat meat if my friends and I went out to eat, and it would mostly be chicken.
My freshman year whenever I went home I would eat beef at a BBQ, I just couldn't resist. Granted I pretty much felt like crap after eating it and my stomach would literally feel horrible, because the last 3 years I was mainly a veggie.
Then a spent the night at a friends house and we went to outback steakhouse. *this is a crucial story for my cutting red meat COMPLETELY*
Clearly we are at steak house and the chicken options were not appetizing for me at all, and I dont like fish.
So I ordered a burger.
Biggest mistake of my life.
I didn't sleep that night. My stomach was on fire, I couldn't handle it. I almost died that night.
I had lost my "tolerance" to beef.
That night I decided to NEVER eat red meat again.
I'm going on year 7 sans red meat.
Chicken was still my go to when out to eat.
I loved that chicken let me tell you.
My Sophomore year I met my now husband.
When we were friends he was a vegan.
I was so impressed with him because honestly HOW COULD I LIVE WITHOUT ICECREAM>!!!#*$)*#
But I admired that about him.
He was just starting so it was hard for him. Plus his freaky fast metabolism he decided to just stay a vegetarian.
Then we fell in love and got married you can read our love story posts here and here and here

Andrew and I had clearly discussed that we were going to be vegetarians and raise our children that way. I was totally fine with it. He also said I can do whatever I'd like * i still liked to eat chicken when eating out* but he would prefer I not bring meat into out home. I agreed. I loved that in fact!.

We got married and andrew did NOT drink milk.
I loved me some silk soy anyways so that was not an issue.
One thing I loved that my husband wasn't a HUGE fan of was eggs.
I loved them and he really didn't eat them, and if he did they would have to be scrabbled to the point of almost being burned haha.
So that was our first unofficial step to becoming vegan we didn't eat eggs or drink milk.

I could NOT let go of the chicken. I mean when we would go home thats all my family made!

So how did we decide to go vegan?
Well my husband came home from class and he said "we need to try to be vegan". I was scared. No lie.
I was like " oh yeah why?"
He was like i just watched "forks over knifes"*on netflix* and i want to try to be vegan.
I said "yes babe" i will jump on this vegan train with you.

So now I will not eat chicken if it kills me, and we have officially said goodbye to cheese and any animal product.

This journey is interesting but I am loving it. A handfuls of raw almonds does me better and keeps me more energized than a cup of coffee, and perhaps my allergies will improve sans dairy products? who knows.
Its still new but I thank GOD we live 3 min from a healthy market in which there is EVERYTHING in the world to be vegan.

My journey is still continuing and soon i'll be able to not "miss" the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment